DC Board of Professional Engineering Licensing information
All links labeled PDF require you to have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. These links will open in a new browser window.
The District of Columbia Board of Professional Engineering (Board) was established by the Second Omnibus Regulatory Reform Amendment Act of 1998, which took effect on April 20, 1999 (D.C. Law 12-261; D.C. Official Code § 47-2853.06 (c) (2001). The Board regulates the licensing and practice of professional engineers and land surveyors and protects the public by upholding the District of Columbia (DC) Professional Engineers Municipal Regulations PDF.
With the consent of the District of Columbia Council (DC Council), the Mayor appoints the members of the Board to serve three year terms. The Board consists of seven members. Four members must have a valid DC professional engineer (P.E.) license from any discipline, two members must have a valid DC land surveyor (L.S.) license, and one member must be a consumer member. Excluding the consumer member, each Board member must have been actively engaged in the practice of engineering or land surveying in the District of Columbia for at least five years preceding his or her appointment. Four members of the Board constitute a quorum.
Excluding December and one other month that varies from year to year, the Board meets on the fourth Thursday of each month at 9:30 a.m. at the DCRA headquarters, located at 1100 4th Street SW, Washington, DC 20024. The Board can be reached by phone: (202) 442-4320 or fax: (202) 698-4329.
Board Administrator: Avis.Pearson@dc.gov
Current Board Members
- Dr. Eugene M. Bentley III – Chairman, P.E.
- Howard C. Gibbs, Vice Chairman – P.E.
- Dr. Norman D. Mills, Member – P.E.
- Kenneth Davis, Treasurer – P.E.
- Compton G. Vyfhuis, Member – L.S.
- Ernest T. Boykin, Jr. – Consumer Member
- 1 vacancy
2016 Meeting Dates:
Please contact the Board to confirm meeting dates/times/locations.
|January 28||February 25||March 24|
|April 28||May 26||June 23|
|July 28||August 25||September 22|
|October 27||November 17||December Recess|
Board meeting minutes are available at www.open-dc.gov.
License Search / News / Publications and Forms
Board of Professional Engineering exam dates:
Friday, October 28, 2016
Saturday, October 29, 2016
Persons interested in licensing (PE/LS) and certification (EIT/LSI) by examination should review the following documents.
- PE and PS Exam Information PDF
- FE and FS Exam Information PDF
- EIT/LSI Application and Exam Changes PDF
Have questions about examinations, applications and licensing? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions PDF.
NCEES launches national surveying education award PDF.
Publications and Forms
These links take you to resource information and forms that are required to obtain your license from the District of Columbia.
Licensing / Resources
Online licensing services are a quick, convenient and environmentally responsible way to manage your licensing needs.
- Online Renewal Link
- Professional Engineering New License Instructions (P.E./L.S.) PDF
- Professional Engineering New License Application (P.E./L.S.) PDF
- P.E./L.S. Professional Character Form PDF
- Professional New License Instructions (EIT/LSI) PDF
- Professional New License Application (EIT/LSI) PDF
- Character Reference Form (EIT/LSI) PDF
The Board is committed to professional development and consumer protection. The following links provide a wealth of additional information.
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. (ABET)
- American Association of Engineering Societies (AAES)
- District of Columbia Association of Land Surveyors (DCALS)
- National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- National Society of Professional Surveyors (NSLS)
- Open DC